[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Fw: AMC 4speed conversion transmssion Help wanted

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Fw: AMC 4speed conversion transmssion Help wanted

Ken:
I swapped out the 3 speed from my 360 to a T10 4 speed.  Eddie, I found that the larger bell housing required for the T-10 is deeper than the bell housing that mated to the 3 speed.  I replaced the clutch and pressure plate with a Centerline performance clutch/pressure plate and a new throw-out bearing.  The new bearing collar was significantly longer than that with the original clutch assembly and everything mated up just fine.  I am assuming you have the clutch linkage pivot and ball assembly for the bell housing as the assembly with the smaller bell housing does not fit with the deeper bell housing. Depending on what you plan to do with the car you might want to seriously consider swapping out the rear end for a Ford Explorer rear end with an 8.8" axle.  Replacement gears are cheap and plentiful and the 8.8" axle will handle torque better than the stock Dana rear end.  Other than modifying and repositioning the shock and spring mounts it essentially drops in.  Also has the benefit of disc brakes to replace the drums in the stock rear end.  Hope this helps

Warren Vallerand
1977 Hornet AMX
360 V8 (from jeep wagoneer), Comp cams street/strip matched cam/lifter set
Edelbrock Torker manifold and 650 cfm Thunder carb
BW T10 4 speed, Ford Explorer 8.8" rear end

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@...> wrote:

> Ken below is switching from a 3 speed to a 4 speed and seems to have some of the items already for conversion, but is also running into some issues. Feel free to comment & coach him thru this conversion, be sure to also copy your reply to him & thanks in advance to all who might reply.
> Eddie Stakes
> 713.464.8825
> eddiestakes@...
> www.planethoustonamx.com