Re: [AMC-list] BBD rebuild and question

I tried to find my BBD diagram. That port for the stepper motor acts like the IAC on a throttle body. It opens and closes to lean or enrichen the fuel mix, depending on what the O2 sensor tells the "computer" what to do. Before you yank the computer, turn the key on and unplug the stepper so it stays set at mid open or you will have too lean to idle or too rich for cruise. It will be a sacrifice of a little of both to get a good runner. The tip of the stepper allows a certain amount of air to go by. Plating it would make it wide open and too lean to idle. It will also pop on quick acceleration if you can get it to run. It will become a drastic vacuum leak.

From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] BBD rebuild and question

I just rebuilt the BBD carb on my Hornet, it came out real nice.
I did the clean-out trick described by various sites, the one about removing the venturi cluster and cleaning it real good with a piano wire, etc.
However, they descrbed taking apart the choke mechanism and removing the plate in order to gain access the cluster. I figured since I need to buy a gasket for the cluster anyways, I would just split the airhorn. That worked out rean nice. No fumbling with those little screws and I am not worrying if the choke plate?is going to work loose and drop a screw into the carb.
Also I was able to remove that little ball check and spray everything.
Take out the air bleed screws too.
Yes, the carb will need to come off, but that is a whole lot easier for a stumble bum like my self to remove the carb, than to lean over the car, dropping stuff everywhere.
With a little adjustments the 156K miliage Sporty wagon, she?just sat there idling like a watch. Nice.
New cap and plugs helped too, by the way.
I have a question on the nutter set-up, though.
Can I just remove that doo-dad altogether, then build a little plate to seal the carb. I see there is an extra airway in the carb, what can I do with that. This is on a carb I have sitting on the shelf.
Thanks all......Bill