Re: [AMC-list] Oil filters and Concord 4 speed

I didn't have an axe to grind but I could've made some out of the motors with a rod hanging out through the block. I ran Castrol GTA, Valvoline, Chevron and changed at proper times. I've had oil tested too.
   When you are cruising the highway at 60-70 mph, the last thing you want to see is zero oil pressure or hear a rod knock.

From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Oil filters and Concord 4 speed

I have seen that site about Fran filters before, and everyone is entitled to their own preference. That is why Chevy guys are so rebid about their cars, etc.
My feeling, personal feeling since I am the eternal pessimist, is that the person had some ax to grind.
I run Frams. I do that because they are good and usually a few bucks cheaper than other brands. They are not the dollar knock offs, so don't worry there.
My 65 American is a few miles short of 252K. Never an oil related problem, and I have had the car for 14 years. I jus got back from a trip to Seattle where I drove the almoxt 50 year old car at a constant 70 MPH, ran like a champ.
I just rebuilt the carb on my 77 Hornet. She has over 150K. It is running a Fram.
I have never lost a car due to oil probs excpt for an 80 Concord just a couple of months ago.
This was a new car on it's first road trip and the idiot light wasn't working properly. I lost oil and a bottom end. The filter: an off brand by the mane of Purolater. This wasn't the filters fault, though, as the car blew a rear seal. Or was it?????
Anyways, I have no problems associated with Frams. I religiously change the oil every 3K, cheap insurance for sure. And I use synthetic oil exclusively.
Racing applications,
I used Fram when I raced my Concord, no problems. 1/4 miler.
I used Fram when I raced my AMX at Maryshill, Portland Old Timers race and Pikes Peak, no problem.
I used Fram and other makes when I raced my Gremmie. Some problems but I was younger and rougher.
I use Fram and ther brands if I find them on sale, so I am not so dead set on Frams. However, if no filter is on sale I have no problems grabbing the PH11, 25 or that weird number on the late model engines. But I still have 5 PH11's on the shelf and a couple of 25s, so I am good to go. I order 10 filters at a time, jobbers discount that way.
Don't fear the Fram, it is fine. If you want to go to another brand, that is fine too. Just change your oil often and use quality stuff