Re: [AMC-list] 4.0L swap

It's not a rumor. Ive seen '94 with 4.0 L and harmonic balancer cps stock.
   '00 up Wranglers use a 999 with bell mounted CPS. I have a bare case with sensor and valvebody for $100 obo. It also is bolt in rear sprague. (I used the internals to upgrade the 999 in my previous Eagle)

<DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> "
" Rick-
"
" I've done the 4.0L swap into a 1979 AMX. My suggestions:
"
" []
"
" * The 4.0L will bolt up to any bellhousing the 258 bolted up to, but
the " bellhousings behind 4.0L engines had a mount for the crankshaft
position " sensor, which 258 bellhousings won't have. If you're using a
4.0L " bellhousing, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to figure out
a way " to mount the CPS. I used an Advanced Adapters CPS relocation
kit, but AA " has apparently discontinued the kit since I bought mine.
HESCO may have " a kit - I haven't recently checked.

idle thoughts on this --

before about '03, the wrangler's auto was a 3sp closely related to the
pacer's, and it has a cps mount. if you found a rebuild-ready core [eg.
cheap] which would have to be disassembled anyway, you could have it
converted back to 2wd and use it. nb. the obdII years are
electronically controlled from the ecm.

a cps relocation kit would be cheaper, but most of them - including iirc
mopar's own - don't use the stock cps [read: costly, difficult
replacement]. i thought advance was the exception.

advance does have stick bellhousings with cps mounts, for various
transmissions. they're about $375 even from discount dealers like
forte's parts connection. you could hook right up to your existing
tranny though. ps. i've known mike forte for about 30 years and he's a
good guy and a square dealer.

[btw if you have a 3sp stick, a swap to a ford toploader 4sp is easy if
you don't mind a floor shifter]

i've also heard rumors of wranglers coming from the factory with a
balancer-mounted cps.