Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:24:27 -0400
From: "Dan Strohl"<DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 43, Issue 22

I've done the 4.0L swap into a 1979 AMX. My suggestions:

* Get an OBD I (1991-1995) 4.0L. I know some guys prefer the Renix, and
some don't mind the OBD II, but if you've never done something like this
before, OBD I is fairly simple.
* Get a donor Jeep that runs. That way you will have just about
everything you need - computer, sensors, wiring harness, and all. I
prefer the accessory layout of the YJ Wrangler and the ZJ Grand Cherokee
over the XJ Cherokee.
* Google "five to fire" for info on how to adapt the Jeep wiring harness
to the AMC wiring harness. Plenty of CJ guys have already blazed that
trail, so all you really have to do is follow in their footsteps.
* If you can, get a 1999-up Grand Cherokee intake manifold. Not only
does it flow better, but it provides more space in tight engine
compartments.
* Don't throw away the 258. The crankshaft and rods are in high demand
by guys who like to stroke their 4.0L sixes. If you are planning to
stroke your 4.0L (highly recommended), I'd suggest you swap it into your
Pacer first, then stroke it. It's another step, but it can get maddening
to try to separate out issues related to the stroker versus issues
related to the swap when you do both at once.
* The 4.0L will bolt up to any bellhousing the 258 bolted up to, but the
bellhousings behind 4.0L engines had a mount for the crankshaft position
sensor, which 258 bellhousings won't have. If you're using a 4.0L
bellhousing, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to figure out a way
to mount the CPS. I used an Advanced Adapters CPS relocation kit, but AA
has apparently discontinued the kit since I bought mine. HESCO may have
a kit - I haven't recently checked.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine