Re: [AMC-list] Met a guy very interested in my '65 (OHC six)

Re: [AMC-list] Met a guy very interested in my '65 (OHC six)

" From: Rick Trawick <rtrawick@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Just to add to the comments...
" I think GM has proven pretty well the OHC is not the magic bullet. The
" small block Chevrolet V8 is still a pushrod engine and (though I don't buy
" in with the Chevy folks that it is the "same" small block for all these
" years) still can be made to have great power-to-displacement ratings, be
" very clean and very fuel efficient. The magic is not the location of the
" cams but modern electronics. The current design of feedback-loop electronic
" engine control can do things that were only dreamed of when our six was
" designed.

not just electronics.  remember the crappy gm 2.8 v6 in the first
cherokees?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Value_engine
is what it's grown into.  the 3.5L lx9 is 200 hp, 220 ft-lbs; the 3.9L
lz9 is 240/240, and they're still pushrod and 2 valve.  but they have
3 things the 4.0 didn't - roller lifters, knock sensor [okay, the 4.0
had one and lost it], and variable cam timing.  and there are
displacement on demand variants.

" But if you look at the last iteration of the 4.0 Jeep engine that
" the 258 etc evolved to, the horsepower was up, torque was up and fuel
" mileage was up. Yes, the head was redesigned but still it only had 2
" valves-per-cylinder and pushrods.
" I think I have finally talked myself into dropping one into my Pacer.
" Anybody have any info on adapting the Jeep fuel-injection harness and
" computer into the 1977 AMC wiring harness?

i know someone here or on the strokers list has done it, a
daddy/daughter project painted purple.  i believe it was her first car.

i'd suggest an early '90s yj wrangler donor.  they have a 'normal'
accessory layout [unlike the cherokee] and the auto is still a 3sp
all-hydraulic 32rh/tf999, so it'll play well with the pacer auto.  and
around here at least, obdI engines don't have to pass smog.

" Rick
" 77 Pacer wagon
"