[AMC-list] OHC 199/232/258??

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jack Dale<mercendarian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Met a guy very interested in my '65

Frank, I never got a response to my query.? Are there any extant development mules/even drawings of experimental SOHC/DOHC alloy heads for the 3.4-4.2L AMC 6cylinders, which I'm told, are among the heaviest of the domestic inliners.?? The IKA-Renault-ex-Willys SOHC was successfully raced on the 3.8L (232 Cu.") in the IKA "Torino".

-------------------------
I sent this to Jack in personal e-mail earlier, didn't note that it was sent to the list also!

Here is what I sent:

      There were a lot of experimental motors
      at AMC in the early 60s/late 50s. I wouldn't doubt there was an
      OHC experimental in the factory labs, but nothing that came out of
      it. If there was it was a one-off. I've got an old photos
      somewhere of Romney with 5-6 experimental engines in the
      background. One was the air-cooled V-4 that ended up in the
      "Mighty Mite" Jeep, another that I recall was a boxer six
      (VW/Subaru style), but I think it was water cooled. Don't recall
      another four or an OHC six, can't put my finger right on the photo
      now (it was in a PM magazine or something similar, I think,
      definitely a magazine, and may have been the cover). AMC was
      putting lots of money in with Renault (yes, they had a business
      connection in the early to mid 60s) in developing a rotary engine.
      AMC had spent millions on a license, Renault was assisting so they
      didn't have to buy a license.

      The 64-80 (1980 calendar year, mid 80 model year) AMC six weighs
      around 500#. It lost 80# (~420#) starting with January 1980
      production. According to the Jeep guys they break no more late
      models than early. The 4.0L is about the same weight as the 258
      due mainly to the lighter exhaust manifold. The block is slightly
      heavier, it might weight 10# more.

      In comparison, the Chevy 194-250 weighs ~440#, the Ford 144-250
      ~385#, Ford 240/200 ~520#, and the Chrysler Slant Six ~475#. The
      Pontiac SOHC six weighs only 10# more than the Chevy it's derived
      from (~450#). So the only other six that is about the same weight
      is the Ford 240/300.

      The Kaiser SOHC engine is a strange story. It had some teething
      issues, but the main problem was simply lack of public acceptance
      of the "new" technology. There were some timing chain and timing
      chain cover oil leak issues (may have been related -- loose chain
      wearing hole in cover?), but they were quickly resolved. It
      continued to be used in the military version of the Gladiator
      pickup through 1969. It was only used for civilian production in
      the US in 63 and 64, being replaced with the more conventional AMC
      232 for 65. The design was sent to IKA (a joint venture between
      Kaiser and the Argentine government) and used there, as you noted.
      The most unusual thing about it was that the cam only has SIX
      lobes, not 12. Each lobe controls both the exhaust and intake
      valves, with the followers right across from each other. It's a
      hemi head. I imagine it would give an aftermarket cam grinder
      fits! It has to limit what can be done with the cam, but it
      obviously works. The block was revised in the early 70s to have
      seven main bearings, but that's the only updating I know of (other
      than bolt-on changes over the years). The only OHC motors
      previously made in the US were all for racing or very high end
      cars (Dusenbergs, for one), the general public weren't to familiar
      with the first mass produced OHC in the US and shunned them to the
      point Kaiser Jeep ditched it. The military trained their mechanics
      for specific equipment and had no problems with them. The truck
      was a little under powered by modern standards, but the military
      put 5.87 gears in the rear and didn't really want it to go more
      than 50-55 mph, as long as it would haul a load 2500# load (1.25
      tons).
Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Jeep_M715 and
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Tornado_engine

--