Re: [AMC-list] GM 6 speed to AMC Gen 2

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 11:31:10 -0400
From: Jim Boone<fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm double checking what I think to be true for my '70 390 & '73 360.

I have seen on CL more than once 6 speed Camaro, Firebird, and sometimes Corvette transmissions for reasonable prices for LT1.  SO:

A. this will fit using a lakewood bell? is there another bellhousing option?

B.  I'd think these are rated pretty good hp and torque so would live behind my '70 390 (which I'd like to pump up some more when $$ allows!).

There might be a better solution -- an adapter plate for the T-5 bell housing. A Jeep T-5 bell housing is relatively easy to find. All the 77-88 or so six bells should be multi-pattern and capable of mounting a T-5, some of the other holes may not be tapped but should be drilled.

If you find a Lakewood 15411 bell you better grab it! It's a discontinued item, probably due to low sales.
http://performanceparts.com/part/Lakewood/15411
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001C9QZ2A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'm still seeing them pop up in listings for $550-$700, but if you try to order most will say "no longer available" or "item is on back order" (and always will be!). That adapter plate is sounding good...

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine