Re: [AMC-list] GM 6 speed to AMC Gen 2

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm double checking what I think to be true for my '70 390 & '73 360.
"
" I have seen on CL more than once 6 speed Camaro, Firebird, and
" sometimes Corvette transmissions for reasonable prices for LT1.  SO:
"
" A. this will fit using a lakewood bell?

this is the warner [nee' tremec] t56, right?
answer: no.
assumption: the lakewood has the standard gm tranny pattern only.
unaccountably, warner made an aftermarket one with the standard gm
pattern, but the oem t56 has an oddball pattern.  go figure.  i don't
know about the oddball's input shaft specs.

" is there another bellhousing option?

advance adapters has one for gm trannies behind the 4.0, even has cps
sensor mount.  like the other post-'72 amc sixes it has the v8 bolt
pattern.  caveat - it isn't a sema-rated bellhousing/scattershield
like the lakewood is.  that may not matter to you.

" B.  I'd think these are rated pretty good hp and torque so would live
" behind my '70 390 (which I'd like to pump up some more when $$ allows!).

i think that's a safe bet - the viper also used a t56.  i wonder if it
had the same oddball bolt pattern?
--
i wouldn't want to use the t5 bell with an adapter plate.  i chatted
with a mustang racer up at the loudon scca races a few years ago, and

you might find an adapter plate to go from the oddball to the 'normal'
gm pattern, or to ford [t150/t177] or something else reachable.