Re: [AMC-list] T176 lubricant

" From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" What's the recommended? GL4?
"
" Napa has a house brand that says GL3,GL4,GL5 on the bottle and also extreme
" pressure which makes me think 'hypoid' which may not be good for transmissions.
" (5.39/litre)
" They also have an Amsoil manual tranny oil that actually mentions the T176 on
" bottle but it's 13$+/litre.

the t176 is a ford toploader - ford sold tooling etc to tremec in the
mid '70s, then turned around and bought trannies [the srod] back.  but
tremec was free to sell to others, which led to the t150 3sp in amcs.
[all the big 3 used 3sp toploaders]

the t160 was a hd 3sp for big blocks in the mid '60s, soon dropped.

ford toploaders, including the srod, also have model numbers in the
t170 series.

tremec developed the srod into a 5sp.  combining some of the big-block
toploader tech, some versions are rated for 600 ft-lbs.

if the synchros are still the same, old skool gear oil would be my
guess.  http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html says that ford and jeep
innards swap, which makes me think they share lube spec too.
--
you also have to watch out - if the ep additives are sulfur based,
they can eat the synchros in trannies like the jeep ax15.  it needs a