[AMC-list] Matador won't start

Troy,
For the Matador - remember you need fuel, spark and air. Using this info, break the issue into 1/3 of the possible reasons.
Fuel - pour a dab straight into the carb and see if the engine tries to start. Bad filter, gumed up carb?
Spark - follow previous suggestions from Matt and Jesse. Check plugs, then measure resistance of wires, check cap, rotor, then check points, then condensor. I am sure one of these ol' timers can tell you the way we used to check condensors. One other step is to put a temporary battery voltage wire straight to the distributor. Many of those old cars used a resistor wire so not to burn up the points.
Air - other than removing the filter, may be alittle more complicated. Mechanical failures would probably not stop it from starting, just actually running.
Note - you can buy a spark plug checker (while getting the voltmeter) and not have to worry about electrocuting yourself like myself (and I am sure Matt) have done many times. Also, if you value your eyebrows, don't look down the carb while trying to start, when the engine is acting up.   :)
Good luck,
Eddie

I bought this 73 Matador and I have been starting it everyday for a month. Today it cranks but it wont fire up. I guessed the solenoid so I put a screw driver between the posts and got no spark with the key on and off. I'll get a soleniod this week, any other ideas I should check or does this sound like the issue?
?
Troy?
Your starting problem isn't the solenoid. If it were that, the engine
wouldn't crank at all.

Start with the simple stuff before throwing parts at it. First thing is
to make sure there is spark. You can do that by pulling a plug wire off,
pulling back the boot so the terminal is exposed and holding it about a
1/4" from the end of the plug. With someone cranking the engine, you
should see a nice blue spark.

If that checks out, the next thing to do is check fuel. Remove the air
cleaner and hold the choke open. While looking down the carb, open the
throttle all the way. You should hear and see a steady stream of fuel.
If not, you have no fuel.

Matt

Be sure to check your voltage at the coil and at the solenoid during cranking where the solenoid is supposed to be sending full voltage to the coil... though I am not sure if your ign system has been upgraded. ?When it's in the "run" it uses reduced voltage. ?Check your owner's manual for exact specs. ?If you don't have a voltmeter, go to Sears or Harbor Freight and get one....less than $20 and well worth it! ?

Also, do a quick voltage drop test... might take a buddy to help you with it... go to the internet to find out how. ?Very often the case is there is enough voltage to crank, but not enough to energize the ign during the start sequence. ?

Also, go out and buy a vacuum gauge/fuel pressure tester... also CHEAP! ?plumb into your fuel line and find out if you're getting adequate pressure. ?once you get it running again, the vacuum side will give you the opportunity to set optimal timing and set idle screws. ?

Proper diagnosis is the best way avoid throwing useless $$ at a problem that is never going to be fixed with the parts you are using! ?

Best of luck to ya!?

Jesse