[AMC-list] Torque Converter Problems

My TC for my 65 American with the BW -35 transmission has a hairline crack in
the neck. It is not quite in the area occupied by the pump seal but I decided to
replace the convertor with a rebuilt one.  I got the rebuilt unit from Precision
Transmission and it was supposedly the last one they had in stock.   I tried to
install it tonight and it rubs the bellhousing.  Upon measuring I determined
that the flexplate (integral to the convertor) is about

1/4 inch greater in diameter.

I'll call them when they open again on Monday but I might need someone to
rebuild by existing convertor.  If anyone has a reference to a good shop, I
would appreciate the information.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA