Re: [AMC-list] TKO trans Q

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I think I know the answer but wanted to ask the collective wisdom!
"
" My '69 Rambler that has the '70 390 - I currently am running a SVO T5
" behind a Jeep multipattern bell.  I want to upgrade to a TKO 500 or
" 600 - can I just buy the Ford pattern and input shaft length and it
" should bolt in?  I know the aftermarket bells are for Cheby length and
" pattern - and I may want to go that way from both a strength
" standpoint and I'd like to put the T5 behind a 258 eventually (but
" that's another discussion).  Keeping it to the Ford pattern sure makes
" for better interchangability.  I'd think even the clutch would fit,
" yes?

i think you're right, with one reservation.

afaik the tko has the toploader bolt pattern and retainer size, as
do the jeep toploader 4sp, and the input shaft should be the same
spline - though on the 600 it just might be the big block 1 3/8" - but
there were 2 different input shaft lengths: the one used on all 3sp
[incl amc's t150] and 4sp -up-to- the srod, and the ~5/8" longer srod
one.  i don't know if truck toploaders also had the longer inputs after
the late '70s, but the srod was the last toploader used in cars so it
has kind of colored the aftermarket.

make sure the input you get matches the older '60s/early-'70s
side-shifter toploaders.

overall length should be the same or very close, if it's meant to
replace an old toploader.

the jeep t177/8/9 toploader input should be similar in length to the
old fords, but it has a gm spline and pilot so isn't easily
comparable.

the output will be either 28 spline, same as the t5 and t150, or hd 31
spline, same as the big block toploader used with 427s and 429s.
boss 351 'stangs had a hybrid toploader, wide ratio and small input
but 31-spline output.  if you need one, it shouldn't be hard to find a
31-spline yoke to match your u-joints.