Re: [AMC-list] Remove flexplate from '68 232 w/ automatic

Easiest way is to use an impact wrench but I think you can put a screw driver between the bolt heads and the end of the crank to keep the crank from turning while you break them loose. Once you break them loose, they'll come out pretty easy.

Matt

On 10/15/2011 11:49 AM, Joe Fulton spouted this sage advice:
Bruce,

Those flexplates are pretty fragile.   I suggest that you pull on spark plug and
insert a long piece of rope (3/8th inch cotton or nylon will work).   The rope
will act to cushion the piston against the cylinder head and jam the piston so
the crank can't turn.  Leave one end of the rope sticking out of the spark plug
hole so you can remove it easily when you have removed the flexplate.

Joe Fulton

----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Griffis<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family"<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, October 15, 2011 8:10:54 AM
Subject: [AMC-list] Remove flexplate from '68 232 w/ automatic

cross-posted on theamcforum:
I started working on my engine swap. I pulled the automatic off the
232. No problems. I removed the bellhousing. I'm trying to remove the
flexplate but running into issues. When I try to turn the 9/16" bolts,
the who flexplate revolves. Should I brace a screwdriver between some
teeth to hold it still? Any tricks? If compression is good, should the
flexplate turn as I try to remove the bolts?

Any hints and tricks? Or just hit all the bolts with penetrating oil,
brace against the teeth (I'm not re-using the flexplate, I'm swapping
to manual) and use a big ol' wrench?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com