Re: [AMC-list] Long time memeber visiting the US

Re: [AMC-list] Long time memeber visiting the US

Stu,

It sounds like you're going to travel across I-10. I haven't traveled that
stretch of it before but I know there are some neat things to see on I-40
(this is the next Interstate north of I-10):

* If you end up coming across I-40 and have some time to get out and hike
around, El Malpias National Monument (a little south of Gallup, NM) is a
neat place. If you don't want to get out and walk around, it only adds
about an hour to the drive from Las Vegas and is a nice stretch of road to
cross.
* South Rim of the Grand Canyon (about an hour north of Flagstaff, AZ).
* Meteor Crater (near Winslow, AZ).
* Petrified Forest/Painted Desert (near Holbrock, AZ).

There is also something called the Cadillac Ranch outside or Amarillo, TX.
It's a bunch of old Caddy's partially buried in a farmer's field. The tail
end of them sticks out of the ground at the same angle as one of the
Egyption paramids (I think Cheops but I'm not sure). I wouldn't go out of
my way to see it but if you end up in that area, it's worth wasting an
hour.

There's a web site called Road Side American
(http://www.roadsideamerica.com) that has a bunch of oddball attractions
listed (things like giant balls of string). When I went out west this
summer, I looked at it and ended up stopping at a couple of the places
they listed along the way. I don't know if you've been to the American
south west before or not but there are very long stretches of not much to
look at and it was nice to have places to stop for a while to break up the
driving.

You may also want to stop by a AAA (American Automobile Association)
office and pick up some tour books. They list hotels and attractions and
they can help with planning your route.

Lastly, you may want to inquire into how safe I-10 is to travel. It gets
very, very close to Mexico once you leave Pheonix and there has been a lot
of violence along the border due to drug trafficing.

Matt