Re: [AMC-list] early 232 using 258 intake??

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would not to expect long life from the T-96. Even the later "beefed up"
> version (T-96J) is spindly compared to the T-14 that replaced it. These
> trannies just don't last long behind the later sixes.

they don't last long behind the 195.6! it's very very tiny, an ancient and
not very robust design. weak synchros. expensive to repair. i'd put a 1bbl
adapter on the aluminum intake and run a YF or something if you can find a
good core. the clutch is 8" too, also hard to find.

Still driving my 63 American. Engine and trans are fine, runs great. If this
driveline dies prematurely, and i continue this path, it will get a "modern"
(sic) 4 banger and manual trans. Still think the a KA24 transplant is the
way to go (by the time i get around to THAT, it will be ancient too! aargh)
minus 300 lbs and plus 50 hp and the little thing will SCREAM. And probably
get 30 mpg. and maybe road-trip worthy then. Not confident enough in this
ancient iron to take a 1000 mile trip in it.

yes, 300 lbs less. amazing.