Re: [AMC-list] Little update on the Classic

Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> said:

>>How does the temp gauge read though? If it reads high all the time the
>>gauge regulator is probably bad. Overvoltage will casue the high
>>reading too. Remember, that's a bi-metal "average" regulator -- it
>>switches on and off fast to produce and average of 5V, not a constant
>>5V. If the regulator points are stuck the gauge is getting 10-12V
>>(depending on resistance through the points) and will read high. If
>>you have to pull the dash replace it with a steady 5V electronic
>>regulator as per Tom's web site.

Aha -- now that probably answers a question I've had about AMC's since I started driving in 1978.  Every last AMC I've ever had has lights that visibly change in brightness every few seconds.  I'd be willing to bet it's just that instrument panel regulator that makes it do that.

It was regular and didn't vary with engine speed, so it makes sense.

That's one 31 year-old mystery solved.

The ones that do it the most visibly are the oil/alt idiot lamps.  Stare at them for a few seconds with the engine off and the ignition "on" and you'll see it eventually.

MARC MONTONI
Harrisonburg VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  http://www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm