Re: [AMC-list] towing setup and advice

I'll have to second Dave's advice. A tow dolly should be fine with a relatively light stock car (dirt or asphalt? doesn't matter, just curious). A trailer might be a different story. A light full trailer with a light car (subcompact -- think Honda Civic at the most, the new ones aren't that small -- or something stripped down like your stock car) . I'd put trailer brakes on at least one axle though. Will save the car a lot of work and make towing much safer. With a 1800-2000 lb. trailer and 2000-2500 lb. car you're pushing against the towing limit for the Eagle. Brakes would be well worth the money. That's the only way I'd pull close to the weight limit. Even with trailer brakes you need to anticipate stops, without them you better be thinking WAY in advance!

---------------
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler<das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

i have a bolt on hitch for an eagle. its going on my 2nd sx4 i have. i can build
them easily. the eagle can pull just fine. i think its weight limit is something
like 4500 lbs total?? i forget now.?i plan to use my sx4 to haul my spirit drag
car on a car dolly. will be just fine for that. the main thing, DONT tow more
than the car weighs. and if your hauling a flat tow trailer,?trailer brakes are
a?MUST!!! well, not a must, but you will be VERY glad you got them. i have a 100
mile one way trip to the drag strip. have had MAJOR issues where i was very glad
for great trailer brakes hauling my old drag car with my wifes?merc?mountaineer.
(aka frod exploder) if your interested in seeing?my trailer hitch,?send me an
email off list. ill get pics and build another one for you.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"