[AMC-list] Some Progress on the Classic

I have had a 64 Classic (junkyard refugee) for about four years now.  It was a
curb ornament until the City stepped up parking enforcement, and then became an
almost pernament resident of my back yard and finally the garage.  Its turn
finally came last Fall.   It needed a clutch and I think I have posted some
progress on the clutch here.  I had the existing 9-inch clutch rebuilt by
Tennesse Clutch in Nashville, TN.   They seem to have done good work and was
cheap.  The engine had not been started in over two years.   I finally got the
clutch in and got the shift rod I needed from a Rambler owner in Arizona.   All
systems were finally go this weekend until I discovered that the tranny would
not go into reverse.  It shifted fine on the ground and passed a visual
inspecton.  It actually looks new or recently rebuilt inside.  It's not the
tranny that came with the car and I've forgotten where I got it.  I think it
came from a Classic I parted out about four years ago.  Anyway it's a T-96 with
OD.  I was very frustrated because I thought I had the shifter linkage adjusted
correctly.  I decided to give the adjustment one more try and I actually used
the procedure in the manual. I loosened the shift rod trunnions and inserted a
drill bit to hold it in neutral and very carefully adjusted the shift rods.   At
first I didn't think I had reverse. then I very deliberately shifted and yahoo,
I had reverse with no grinding.  I moved the car out into the sunshine and
started some other refurbishment and cleaning projects this afternoon.   It
moved under it's own power for the first time and at least three years.  The
license tag says 2008 and I think I bought it that winter, needing a clutch. I
was able to start it but could not drive it because the previous owner and
messed up the clutch.   It has had a 232 transplanted into it and I this
afternoon I turned it around in the street to face the other way in the garage.
Then I immediately jumped in my Rambler American with the 195.6 which was parked
at the curb and moved it back into the drive.   232 vs. 195.6?   There is a
difference.  Projects remaing on the Classic:  get the fuel gauge working,
replace the oil pressure sender and permanently install the oil pressure gauge
that is temporary now, replace the turn signal switch and rebuild the carb (a
Holley 1931).   It needs paint badly but I'll probably start driving it first
before taking it out of service for paint.

Joe Fulton