Re: [AMC-list] Will a 196 fit?

> I do have to ask: Why in the heck would you want to replace a 232 with a
> 196? Not knocking the 196 (it was a fine engine when it was designed in the
> 40's) but the 199 and 232 sixes are a huge step forward. Doing this gets you
> less power, less longevity, and more expensive and harder to find parts. Any
> 199, 232, or 258 (this is a one year only block so not likely to find one)
> made through the 1971 model year will bolt right in.

yeah, i wouldn't do that switch even with a brand new rebuilt 195.6ohv
vs a 199/232... and i assume you're not talking about a flathead, as
that has more or less HALF the power of a 232... and i'm one of the
rare FANS of the 195.6 ohv engine.

plus all the electrics linkages, clearances, etc will likely all
require fiddling and tweaking.

232's are cheap to build, for an antique engine.