Re: [AMC-list] Identify 290 flywheel (not flexplate)

I can tell you this much. The engine side has a inset machined into it to fit over the outer edge of the crankshaft flange for centering the flywheel. The 327 flywheel I have is the same way. I'm going to have to do some measuring to mod a 4.0L flywheel to work on my 290 so I can bolt up the AX-15 I have to it and use a 4.0L starter too. Fortunately I know about the offsets for the starter and flywheel teeth already. I thought about using a 4.0L flywheel instead with a Ford style starter (the 3/8" offset further back of the ring gear could be used to make the instep on the back of the flywheel so it aligns to the Ford style starter, but I don't care for them)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: AMC List <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Identify 290 flywheel (not flexplate)

I received a question I can't answer! I don't recall how to visually
identify a 290 flywheel with no numbers on it. Can anyone help out here?

Would the 290 flywheel have a square weight on the flywheel like the 390
and 360,or does it just have
holes drilled in it to balance? Also is one side smooth other than the
clutch surface?
I think I found one, but want to be sure.

Wayne  (wdl182-AT-aol.com)

--
Frank Swygert