Re: [AMC-list] Ethanol Problems

We've had 10% ethanol in our gas in Ohio since the late 70's (longer than I've been driving) and I haven't had problems with it in any of my older cars (mostly late 60's, early 70's). Fuel system parts have been able to take 10% ethanol for a long time so it shouldn't be an issue for something made in 1982.

Recently, however, the additive packages have changed and gas is not as stable as it used to be. If it sits for more than a few months, it starts to go bad (car runs bad), and somewhere between 6 months and a year you end up with a lot of goo in the tank that will build up in valve guides and make the valves stick.

One problem you may run into with it is that it is a good solvent and since there are a lot of gas formulas being sold with added detergents for fuel injected cars on top of it, you can end up freeing up a bunch of crud in old tanks and plugging up filters.

Matt

On 3/8/2011 9:04 PM, jim williams spouted this sage advice:
Has anyone out there seen first hand damage from Ethanol?
I have a 1982 motorcycle that all but stopped running last summer. This winter I took the carbs. apart. Looking inside showed no traces of any damage from rubber parts or film. They looked new. Is there a problem? Or are things just getting blown out of proportion to sell more additives? I see Sta-Bil has a new one on the market. I did try it in a 1985 Escort. Now this might just be a coincidence but after adding the Sta-Bil the car developed a bad spark knock.
I added four gallons of new gas and it went away.
Makes me wonder??
Thanks
Jim Williams
Lewisburg WV 24901