[AMC-list] Ethanol Problems

Has anyone out there seen first hand damage from Ethanol?
I have a 1982 motorcycle that all but stopped running last summer. This winter I took the carbs. apart. Looking inside showed no traces of any damage from rubber parts or film. They looked new. Is there a problem? Or are things just getting blown out of proportion to sell more additives? I see Sta-Bil has a new one on the market. I did try it in a 1985 Escort. Now this might just be a coincidence but after adding the Sta-Bil the car developed a bad spark knock.
I added four gallons of new gas and it went away.
Makes me wonder??
Thanks
Jim Williams
Lewisburg WV 24901