[AMC-list] Crush Em!! ...illegal street racers cars crushed

"Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadq9usA2SQ&playnext=1&list=PL7B751FBDD3D33565
>
>found that on youtube, even if imports that is painful to watch. Removing that engine
>looks like something I did in 1978 though in a 70 Javelin. If link breaks above, go to
>www.youtube.com and search for:
>Crush Em !!! ...illegal street racers cars crushed
>
>that white import looks like Smart car after being boxed. I would guess Ontario Police got
>the message across loud & clear on this though.

Yeah, except that's not a message I want my tax dollars used to promote.  First, it's a waste of resources.  Second, most street racing is a victimless crime.

Much as I enjoy watching ricers being crushed up, and as much as I really despise the sound they make and the rubber bands they ride on, I do not believe being forced to give up several thousands of dollars of hardware and sweat equity is a punishment that fits the crime.

*Just* because someone is street racing does not necessarily mean they endangered anyone.

Heck, the Blazer Blue 68 AMX 343/4spd that Kim DesJardins now owns in Wilmington NC would have been history in 1979.  I street raced it back then and didn't even come close to hurting *anyone*.

Shortly after that car, I had a 69 Ambassador with original 390 that I raced often against a 383 Charger -- that would have been forfeit too.

Now, if a street-racing driver is *observed* recklessly endangering someone, then yes, once convicted, he should face a choice of jail, fine, or lose the car.  But if he gives up the car, it should be auctioned off.

Jus' sayin...

-- Marc