Re: [AMC-list] Coulda been Great

Joe; A couple of weeks ago I did work on my own 65, since I had a week off and the weather has been nice, 40s and 50s. Complete tune up including timing chain (I found a genuine Rmbler timing set at an estate sale, a farmer had a shed full of Rambler stuff for his own '65 550). I changed all fluids including brake fluid, that sorta thing.
I got to the points and changed em, brand new from Knechts. It would not fire. Checked all adjustments and no fire. I put the old points back in, after cleaning them up, and it fired right up. Those brand new points just would not fire.
A side note, I put new synthetic oil in and fired it up and got a horrible ticking. I thought the worst until I looked on my bench and a plug gasket was laying there. Found the plug it goes to and the car now purrs like a kitten. Nice to have a 46 year old car run so sweet on original iron.
I was where you were Joe, and a lot other listers, ironing out all the little bugs and dialing in the car. The day will come when there is nothing that has to be done and you can then start doing the stuff you want to do. As to my 65, it is "done" but its never done.....Russ