-------------
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:02:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The car started OK but has been having a slight miss on acceleration.? I thought
maybe the miss was caused by the damp weather and that

the ignition system would dry out.?? I let it warm up some then launched out
onto US 101 north to Gilroy.?? About 10 miles down the road
the miss got worse and I started looking for a place to turn around and head
back home.? About?that time there?was a huge backfire and I pulled over
because it felt like I had run over something in the road.? The?jolt was just
the shockwave from the backfire.? Drive shaft, etc. were still all intact
when I checked underneath, except there was a huge hole blown in my brand new
muffler.?

I restarted the car and it sounds like one of those fart can rice rockets now.?
I turned around and headed for home, still with the ignition?miss.?

I have a factory (A-1 Cardone) rebuilt distributor on the workbench at home with
a newly installed Pertronic unit in it.? The problem with the miss
has been internittent before and when the car runs good it really runs good.?
Some day I will get this Rambler back on the road.?? I think.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"