Re: [AMC-list] When replacing door and trunk gaskets, ...

Re: [AMC-list] When replacing door and trunk gaskets, ...

We have windshield gasket installed!

My son did the door seals, trunk seal and windlace. He did great! We
brought it in and got the windshield gasket done. I had them do the
door fuzzies while it was in - but it looked like we could do that
ourselves with no problem. We're waiting on the rear window gasket.
Once that is done, the car should be dry inside.

I think we'll try the carpet next. It got damaged from the rain
leaking in - and needs to go. We need to pull the carpet, check for
rust (I didn't see any where we looked - but pulling the carpet will
tell the whole story).

We're getting there, bit by bit!
Our list is:
Replace carpet
Redo or replace headliner
Send sunvisors in to be re-stiched
Ship armrests out to be redone. Right now a few have duct tape, lol.
(a list guy forwarded info - I think we'll take that route for visors
and armrests).

Then I need to stabilize the paint. I think we'll either pick up some
sheetmetal at a junkyard to play with, or just reshoot my popup. I
have been putting this off - but I think we can't make it look worse
than it does. But this is a long way off, and I think I need to mess
with junk before messing with my car.

We're holding off on a decision on the engine and flywheel. The engine
leaks, but not a lot. I have to feather the clutch, but it seems okay
to me. It blows a little smoke - but only when cold - so probably just
the choke. We priced out getting the main seal done at a shop, but a
quart of 5w30 every now and then seems a lot cheaper now then doing
the mainseal! (plus I think that's something I want to learn to do
myself - I'm sure we're good for a few years - so I'm not worrying
about it).

An yep, my son is a good kid. Works full time, goes to college at
night for a Journalism degree, and is saving to go for a Masters in
Fine Arts in writing. He's a good, hard-working kid.