-------------
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:31:45 +0000 (UTC)
From: Wrambler<wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Frank, Not sure what you have against urethane?
Yes it will make a possible later replacement tougher, but will seal and hold the gasket flush to the body.
   I'm not talking any old urethane. It has to be specifically designed for use with the gasket windows.

   When I put my rear glass in I did not have cash for a rear rubber, plus it may not have even been available at that time. The rubber on the 69 sedan is black rubber, not chrome. The rubber also had a curl at the corners, which are rounded. Using the urethane I got from glass shop for gasketed windows, the urethane bridged that gap, is invisible as it dries to look like rubber. It is probably 12 years since it was installed and the rubber still sits tight to the body, there are no leaks.

  While there may be diffculties in replacement should that time ever arrive, I will take a dry interior over something that may never need done.

  I spent many years trying to seal these windows at Tewell's and the sealers of that time where a total nightmare, slimy glue that never fully cured or bonded. No thanks.

  I will also acknowledge there are probably better sealers out there now. In 1999 I went with Urethane on the back glass and have zero regrets.

Before I knew about the Urethane...The NOT recommended procedure was done.

  I used black 3M Marine grade RTV on the front windshield, horror of horrors. Set the glass in the rubber with it, installed the glass in the body with it, Masked the frame area and then fill the gap between the channels and gasket and set the chrome in the RTV. NO CLIPS for the trim and it is not the narrow trim that goes in the rubber either.

  Also 12 years old and not a drop of leakage. I WOULD NOT repeat the RTV job...but at the time I did it I thought it to be a good idea....

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"