Re: [AMC-list] Chevy power steering pump conversion

Re: [AMC-list] Chevy power steering pump conversion

I think kits are still readily available to rebuild the Eaton type pumps but you may have to go to one of the AMC vendors. Kennedy American lists the rebuild kit for $25 and the pumps are pretty simple devices. I'll admit to never having an Eaton pump apart but the direction for rebuilding them are pretty close to a Delco style and those are pretty easy.

As far as converting to a Delco pump goes, AMC switched to them sometime in the 70's for V8 vehicles (six cylinder vehicles started using them in the mid-60's). You should be able to get all of the parts to do the swap from a late 70's or newer Jeep.

Regardless of which way you go, make sure you look at the fluid that comes out. If it looks like it has glitter in it or feels gritty, you need to replace the hoses (you should to this anyway) and steering box (you can also get a rebuild kit for it) at the same time or you'll ruin the pump.

Matt

On 2/5/2011 9:01 PM, Troy McCall spouted this sage advice:
Hey guys I havent posted in awhile. I have a 71 Javelin with the big expensive power steering pump and it is making a high pitched whining noise at take off. I have seen guys with the teardrop Chevy pumps and was wondering what was done to convert it.

Thanks, Troy