Re: [AMC-list] 72 232 into 64 american

" From: "L.D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have ask this before but have lost the info. I have a 72 232 from a
" 72 Gremlin, with 904 automatic from 72 javelyn Iwant to put in my 64
" 440 2drhdtp. Could you all please let me know what I need to have and
" where to get the parts. I also have a completely rebuilt 196 and the
" bw Automatic trans I would like to sell or trade if I can get the 232
" installed. The 196 and trans have been sitting for about 5 years. head
" has never been on the block and trans mission has not been used since
" rebuilt.

for a start you'll need the short water pump and pulley used on '65
american 232s and '65-'74 jeeps, and a small body [american,
hornet/gremlin/concord/spirit] crossmember and motor mounts.  you'll
need a tf output yoke and a custom driveshaft; early-mid '70s u-joints
are the same as non-big-nut americans ['65-6 232, '67-9], but not your
'big nut' style.  the 'big nut' pinion is also special, so you can't
just use a later driveshaft.  you'll have to flip the radiator
brackets to move it a few inches fwd as on the '65 232, but it isn't
as easy on the '64 as the upper rad support doesn't have the zig to
fit the upper rad tank.

i assume the tranny crossmember will also need work.  might be easier
to start with a later one and mod to fit the car.  i'd also want to
take a good look at the later column shift linkage.