Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

Is the T14 pattern the same as the 3speed I had in my '66 Fairlane with 289? If so, Darkhorse Performance had an adapter/spacer to go between the trans and bell to put in a Mustang 4 cyl T5.

From: Frank Swygert
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

A few caveats here:
There are TWO bell to trans bolt patterns for the 196, early and late. Early would be all the four point engine mount cars, pre 63 big cars, pre 64 Americans, late would be any car with a three point mounting system. The upper two bolt holes are the same, the lower two are around 1.5-2.0" lower on the late models to give the engine/trans link more resistance to flexing down in the center. Just something to think about if you're ever looking for a used T-96. The T-14 of course uses the late pattern.

I don't know of a five speed that will bolt to the T-14 bell, so unless a 1972  six is used a five speed would be hard to do. Modern Driveline makes a T-5 adapter for the early Falcon six and would be willing to make one for the late T-96/T-14 pattern bell housing. The Mustang V-6 trans would work.