Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:13, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Smoking a bit when cold is actually normal, means the choke is richening
> the mixture as it should. As long as it quits when warmed up and doesn't use
> too much oil I'd leave it alone.

If it's fuel smoke (blueish) it's far too rich. Choke "rich" is 11:1 or so,
not enough to cause blue clouds. Puffs for 2 - 10 secs at startup from
flapping the accell pump is different.

 Keep an eye on the oil level. As someone pointed out, using a quart every
> 800 miles on the old 196 is normal if you run it sort of like a modern car
> (70 mph cruising, keeping up with traffic, etc.),

A quart every 1000 is not normal even at highway speeds. I know, mine
doesn't use even half a quart in 3000 - 4000 miles of mostly 65mph highway
driving.  OK my motor is fresh. But I think it's the "old car" syndrome --'
oh it's an old car, just slap new rings in it'. Built right, as if someone
cares, and you want it to last a long time, like people do with nice V8s,
and it won't drink oil.