Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

What do the plugs look like? Spark plugs are a removable piece of the
combustion chamber! If they're sooty or black that sounds like oil. But if
the oil into the cyls is slow/low enough, it just burns off with little
residue (oils today are vastly better than the past).

Plugs today run almost white when normal. Fluffy-ish yellowish stuff, 1/32"
- 1/16" thick, on the insulator, seems normal these days for carbed engines.

One idea is to start it up cold, and when it's making tailpipe smoke, shut
it off and pull a plug immediately. If it's really wet with gas that's
likely the smoke you're seeing (rich).

You might not be able to see anything conclusive on the plugs. If you take a
hi-res photo of the plug tip and email it to me I'll see if I can see
anything.

The 195.6 has nearly perfect mixture distribution (unlke the 232) so unless
it's idling rough or bumpy any plug will do. On the 232 I pull like #1
(lean) and #4 (rich).

And (getting close to my point) slow coolant loss into one or more
combustion chambers is hard to see on the plugs if it's slow enough....

LAST AND NOT LEAST! Watch coolant level. If you don't already, get one of
those aftermarket overflow containers. They work great -- and are a great
way to monitor coolant level. YOu'll need a good radiator cap. Engine heats
up, everything expands, especially the air in the system, and it blows
excess and air bubbles into the overfow tank. WHen it cools off, it sucks in
water from the overflow. Within a couple of days it's stabilized and purged.
THEN you can mark the container and watch for coolant loss.

1/8" or less loss per week is about normal. It does seem to vary day by day
(likely temperature, parking angle, vagaries of air pockets, hoses, etc).
but if you get a consistent loss of 1/4" a day or every couple of days then
you definitely have a leak.

Besides, overflow tanks stop belching on the driveway, unsightly, and very
poisonous to dogs.