[AMC-list] 64 440-h ques, and a 327 to boot

[AMC-list] 64 440-h ques, and a 327 to boot

I just picked up a 196-OD combo with a posi rear. The brakes are frozen so I can't count the turns but there is a tag on the fill plug id'ing it as a posi. Before I tear it apart I have some questions.
The size should be about 4:10, right?
Can I put the brakes from a later year 15 on this puppy> I have several complete brake set-ups that I can put on. I should be able to pull the axles and plates and just pop on the newer set.
Can I drop in the whole posi innards into a late year housing? That would be ideal, that way I get rid of that big ol' nut.
Also, I am looking at a 57-62 327 engine and push button tranny. The engine turns over, a little too easy. I get just a faint hint of compression when it is turned with a breaker. He says it came from a runner (we've all heard that before) but shouldn't I feel some comp? It spun real nice. Also, and I think I know this answer, is there any difference in the early vs late blocks? I want to pull my frozen 64 287 and drop in this one if it shows to be good.....Russ