Re: [AMC-list] Car Stereo Wiring Question

Love to get a part # on those bullets!

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:17:45
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Car Stereo Wiring Question

OK, I installed a cheap car stereo in the 65 Rambler today to replace a defunct
unit and basically just fill the dash and speaker holes.   I got power to the
unit and determined that the speakers were good, then determined that my crimped
connections were crappy although they looked good to me.  So power was not
getting to the speaker on either side of the car.  So, Tom and others, should I
go with crimped and soldered connections. In think I already know the answer.

It will be a hassle to remove the wiring runs, but I can do that.  I hate
soldering when I'm not working on the bench though.   Whine, whine.

These are spade terminals to the speakers {male terminals on the speakers), and
I have some quality crimp terminals but they are for 14 gauge wire. My actual
wire gauge is smaller.  And I don't have the professional crimp tool, just a
good parts store (Sears I think) crimper.  I'm thinking I could just use what I
have and get a good solder joint at each connection.

On a related subject (because I hooked up my new backup lights on the Rambler
this weekend) I have some thoughts on bullet connectors.   Ramblers use large
bullet connectors for disconnects in the wiring harness.  Parts stores usually
carry smaller bullet terminals (blue for 14-16 gauge wire), but they don't have
the large terminals (especially the male connectors) that you need if you are
adding a disconnectable circuit where there's an exisitng AMC female bullet
connector.   My local independent parts store has the large bullet connectors.
If anyone needs them, I'll pick some up next weekend and send them if you send a
postage paid self-addressed envelope.   Email me if interested.

Joe