Re: [AMC-list] Car Stereo Wiring Question

Re: [AMC-list] Car Stereo Wiring Question

My rule of thumb is, mission-critical or anything under the hood or near
weather, or more than a couple of amperes -- crimp, solder, heatshrink,
nothing is too good. Literally, because even that stuff fails.  The
connections from my Duraspark box to the distributor are crimped and
soldered ring terminals, with a 6-32 screw nut and washer each, with a piece
of slit fuel line over each. Ugly but drop-dead reliable. Those old klunky
OEM connectors all seem to be corroded.

Under the dash though, crimp seems fine, and if your stereo goes out on a
trip you get home OK. I use red terminals for nearly everything, tight is
good. I use one of those ratcheting crimpers, they crush a wide swath of
copper instead of just a dent. A good test is, wiggle and tug the wire; if
you can see it move at the working end it's not a good crimp. The key phrase
is "gas tight" -- can gases (eg. air) get into the metal-to-metal crimp?

Good crimpers are expensive though, $50 - $100, but you can switch in all
sorts of jaws. I used to do a lot more of this stuff (RJ11, RJ45, RF stuff,
etc) and still have from those days. Would be hard to justify for the
occasional radio crimp.

For speakers, strip and twist seems fine! Dumb, simple, reliable. Assuming
low power like radios and in-dash stereos. (I'm now putting in a
100W/channel RMS amp and a big subwoofer in my little American, the battery
is in the trunk and the amp is 3' from the battery, it gets #8 cable all
crimped and soldered, #14 soldered wire to two 2-ohm speakers per side in
series.)