Re: [AMC-list] Car show in Iran

Very interesting Rich! The Americans were produced from 1968 and only made through about 1970 or 71. Two models were made, the "Shahin" and "Aria". One was the two door, the other a four door. I'm not sure which was which but I believe the Aria was the two door -- I think a Rogue but could have been just a post sedan. I've only seen a photo of the more common four door. A fellow from Iran sent me a message years ago and said they had problems with brakes not being very good, don't know if they were using something locally manufactured or it the problem was just poor quality control. The factory was built as a joint venture with the Iranian government and AMC in 1967. That's about all the info I've been able to get on the AMC car connection over the years.

----------------
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:54:12 -0600 (CST)
From:edatlarge@xxxxxxxxxxx

I happened to have spent a 2-week business trip in Iran in 1979 just prior to the fall of the Shaw of Iran, later that year.  I spent much of the time filming for the Shahbadoo (the Shah's wife) with the mistaken notion that the travel industry in Iran needed to be promoted&  developed.  But that's another story... the Shah fell before the project was completed.  I spent much of that time in and around Tehran and even filmed at a Rial factory.  Not sure of the spelling but it was the government-sponsored auto assembly plant.  I had heard that the Rial was started with the Rambler American (rebadged as a Rial).  There were Rambler (Rial) Americans all over the place at that time, however I don't thing they were still in production at that point since the Rials I saw rolling off the assembly line looked like Fiats.  That's what I remember from 30+ years ago...  I even remember seeing a Marlin parked on the street near the American embassy.

Rich Morgan

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"