Re: [AMC-list] Oil Pressure II

I can tell you from physical experiments that gear pump end clearance makes
a fantastic difference in flow. By getting clearances down to < .003" the
pump in my 195.6 exceeded the total flow capacity of the oiling system --
likely doubled flow (something of that order). Stock is (I forget offhand
exactly) like .010", very loose. .002, .003 was too tight (ask me how I know
:-) but likely .005+ would hugely improved flow without (?...) danger of
gears binding to the cover.

Flow is NOT the same as pressure! But since there's more or less a fixed
resistance to flow downstream of the pump (galleries and all that rot)
increased flow into it will increase pressure, so for a system without
mechanical problems (blockages or leaks) pressure is a good-enough
indication of oil flow.