Re: [AMC-list] Oil Pressure II

All I can do is confirm Davis' opinion. Check the oil pump end gear clearance and tighten it up a bit to increase pressure slightly. But you really don't need to -- 10 psi at hot idle is sufficient, even if you (and I!) would like to see a little more. As long as oil pressure goes up with rpm as it should you're fine. Try idling hot at 1000 rpm and see if pressure goes up to 12-15 and stays there hot. If it does all I'd do is boost idle to 800 rpm to get 1-2 more psi at hot idle and leave it alone, unless it's a drag race engine. For a normal driver you're just fine.

-------------
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:37:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Davis Martin<martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim,
?Sounds like the only problem you have is your oil pump end clearance was set to
the loose side. You really dont have an issue unless your running the engine
hard and up past 5000 RPMs. DO you have a blueprint from your engine build? What
were the pump clearances??If it really bothers you you can swap in a thinner oil
pump gasket Bultear?sells a .007" gasket. Stock gasket is usually .009 to .012
Davis

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"