From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Sender: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:12:56
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] webber 32/36

I have this book:
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/HP_Weber_Book_p/hp%20774.htm

<http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/HP_Weber_Book_p/hp%20774.htm>A bit
disorganized but not bad, pretty much answers most qustions. Jetting is easy
(gotta take the top off but carb bowl doesn't drain) and idle jets are
external.

It's fairly close out of the box for the 195.6 but the idle jets had to be
much larger.

The small primary (32mm) is nice for very high velocities at very low engine
speeds, makes it very easy to tune and less sensitive to secondary factors
(temp, etc) since the carb gets a big fat signal.

I hav the electric choke, there's a water choke (DGAV) I kinda wish I had,
I'd run my head-coolant-recirc line past it. Then choke would be perfect.

Dragstrip mentality has leaked into street cars when it comes to carbs, and
it couldn't be more wrong. Here's inarguable numbers: these are total engine
flows, in CFM, at WOT, assuming 80% VE:

              1600        2400          5000
258ci         96           143           299
232ci         91           137           285
195.6ci      77           115           241

That's simply not pumping a lot of air. Even a Holley 390 on a 258 barely
comes into decent flows until 4000+. Seriously, a street car spends most of
it's time around 1800 - 2800 or whatever. Tiny carbs rule, and tiny primarys
are best. And I can't believe that on the strip, smallish carbs for
stock-ish engines won't improve times over a huge hole that drops velocity
to zero.

Good carb mixture control depends on signal, made by the flow loss across
the venturi. There's tension there with drivability, even mixture and flow,
but unless you're racing a big carb is nothing but bragging rights (and not
very convincing ones IMHO).