[AMC-list] '87 Alliance Convertible . . . it's alive!

[AMC-list] '87 Alliance Convertible . . . it's alive!

Hi, Guys:

Back in April I told everyone that I was looking at a non-running '87 Alliance
Convertible that was in beautiful shape but which had been sitting in a guy's
front yard for a couple of years when it "overheated and stopped running" (his
explanation.)   I'd always liked the Alliance, especially the convertibles, and
I got a variety of hot and cold responses from various list members about
whether to buy or not. The hot answers were luke-warm and the cold answers were
positively frigid!  But I bought it anyway.

It took me four months working intermittently and with essentially no experience
on "new" engines, meaning one that has a computer  and lots of sensors and a rat
nest of wiring.  Also, the only repair manual I have is that horrible Haynes,
which is my LEAST favorite manual to use when fixing ANY car.  But I dug in
anyway.

First I checked the timing belt, which had gnawed up a bunch of teeth.  Replaced
belt, still couldn't get it to start.  No spark.  Began methodically began
replacing parts, first the computer ($75) then, because I was at least getting
an erratic spark, the coil ($25).  At one point in trying to start the car the
crank pulley fell off. The bolt had worn an oval-shaped hole in the pulley and
the shear pins where kaput.  New shear pins set me back 50¢.  Finally I put on a
new crank position sensor ($30), and that did the trick.  The car ran!  But
sounded terrible, sort of marble-y and lethargic.  Siphoned old gas out of the
tank, put in five gallons of new ($15) and a bottle of gas drier (free a free
box at a yard sale).  I started the car again and it ran like sh*t . . .  but
after a few minutes it sounded better and better.  I was excited!

Immediately decided to drive 7 miles up to town to fill up the tank.  About two
miles out the temp needle went up to the bottom end of the "too hot" area, but
started out a 1/3 of the way up when I knew the engine was cold . . . WTF?
Radiator hoses didn't feel too hot, and at least the heat alerted me to a
working (or open, anyway) thermostat since they were at least warm.  Radiator
fan hadn't come on, so I fiddled with the car - ah, so that's what the weird
aftermarket toggle switch is by the ashtray!  The PO must have put this one so
you can turn the cooling fan on and off as you wish!  Drove the rest of the way
to town, pretty sure it's was just a bad temp sending unit, but no luck at
Autozone buying a new one. No luck on oil filter or air filter either.  Stopped
at the little Sears catalogue store to buy an infrared thermometer to get a
sense of hot hot engine was, but they'd just closed.  But I was pretty sure it
wasn't really running hot, and the needle never went beyond the very lowest part
of the red area.

Next day, drove ten miles each way to a farm auction, top down. Noted flat spots
on tires from sitting.  Bought a mounted prong horn antelope head.  Drove back
home.  Noticed some weird idling when at a stop sign with car in D, foot on
brake . . .  will check the vacuum lines for the transmission.

Decided against driving the car 102 miles to my job in Chicago until at least
next weekend.

This car is fun!  Glad to have got this running before winter so I can have at
least a few weeks of top-down, warm weather driving!

Justin