Re: [AMC-list] it RUNS!!

Gauges may have lost their power feed. Did you disconnect the brake booster and see if it has a vacuum leak? (someone else mentioned that in a recent post) If it still has old gas, it might not have enough octane to keep idling. Did you drill the idle tubes? Any BBD that sits gets these clogged up and that causes no idle. Try crossing #1 and #6 wire at the dist, make it backfire a couple times then put them back and see if it idles (had to do that on my '82 Spirit once a week till I changed the gas tank due to rust)
   Aftermarket cover is best. I'll be pulling the head from my 4.2 soon to put on a Renix 4.0 head and HO EFI. I did the aluminum valve cover with "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. My cover was cracked or I would have tried the right stuff on it. I have another plastic cover I dug out recently along with all the vacuum hoses I pulled from the Spirit.

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AMC-list] it RUNS!!

was workin on the 82 eagle today. had to take the dizzy out of the 79
 spirit and put in the eagle. do some vacume line plugging. got it to
 ALMOST run. had to do the 45 mile trip to town to get a hand full of
 parts. got home, tinkered little more (carb rebuild mainly) set the dizzy
 correctly because someone before me had it WAY out of wack. well, after
 about 1 hour of messing with timing, i finally got it to run. wont idle
 still. i think its got a bad vacume leak somewhere. no knocks or bad
 noises. will only run above 1000 rpm or so. im thinking im going to buy a
 none stepper motor carb. (has a stepper on it now) going to get rid of
 ALL vacume/electronic crap off of it. none of the gauges work. HAD the 3
 gauges/w clock on the nonexisting center console. gauges are there, but
 not one gauge works. i know it has oil pressure as oil is just gushing
 out from under the valve cover on the intake side. now i know what
 everyone is talking about with the stupid plastic valve cover. whats the
 fix for that? now to just make it idle, and start fixing all the crap
 thats bad with it now that i know it will run.

dave stohler