Re: [AMC-list] new amc's

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" It works well with a carb too!
"
" that was my next question. would the intake thats on the 258 right now
" work? i dont even know exactly what all i need to build a 4.6 motor.
" would be awsome if i have all i need, but im sure i need to buy alot
" of spendy stuff. custom pistons? i know i have heard people talking
" about pistons being hard to find. isnt the 4.6 something like using
" the 4.0 block, bored out, and 258 crank/rods/pistons? the 4 speed
" thats in the eagle now, would it be ok with the 4.6? it wont be a
" "hotrod" just a winter driver. my little '03 peon wont go in the snow
" if its deeper than 3", and my big 4x4 truck gets 8mpg. 2' of snow is
" the norm. if the intake on the '82 258 will work on the 4.0 head, and
" just a little bore work to build a 4.6, i will jump all over it. i
" know frank and mark have 4.6 or have had them. please let me know how
" to build one.

folks have put 4.0s and strokers into eagles.  blocks up to '99 still
have the eagle diff-mounting lugs...  one of the motor mount holes is
drilled for the '80s 'renix' knock sensor; you'll need a 10mm [12mm?]
bolt for it.

4.6 is 4.0 block and slugs, 258 rods and crank - and a few random
bits.  you might want to join strokers@yahoogroups; they're all about
this.

if you just want a winter driver, why not stick with a near-stock 4.0?

for the eagle, a 258 cam might move the torque closer to what the
car's geared for - the 4.0 cam has quite a lot more duration and peaks
close to 1000rpm higher.  it'd be happier with 3.54s than 2.73s.

the 4sp will work okay if you keep your foot out of the throttle; it's
barely strong enough for a stock 258.  afaik it's possible to build a
t5 that'll handle the stroker's power, with mustang 5.0 innards in
place of the amc/jeep parts.  i don't know how lengths compare, but
the 4.0's stick might not be a hard swap either - both t/c have 6-bolt
flanges and 23-spline inputs, though of different depths.

the mpi kit for the 258 used a 4.0 ho intake with indexing-pin holes
relocated, so you'd have to do the reverse to put a 258 intake on the
4.0...

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" i was reefing hard on the drive shaft yoke on the rearend of the
" eagle. it felt normal. i was able to move the car. so IF there is
" something wrong with it, im thinking hub also. but, heres the deal.
" guys buddy had a wagon with "broke" axle. buddy was going to swap
" axles. it looks to me like the buddy STARTED to pull the axle. the
" ubolts dont look like they have ever been off. spring shackle bolts
" dont look ever touched. im HOPING the guy started, but gave up on the
" axle swap and its just fine.

<crossing fingers>

if you need a new axle, the rear from a cherokee is a near-dead swap -
only 1 shock is mounted different, and of course the gearing...

" another question with the 4.0. would the flywheel off the 258 work on
" the 4.0? im thinking not. i probably got to get a 4.0 manual flywheel?

the 258 flywheel will work -if-:
you use the 258 starter
you relocate the cps to the harmonic balancer - several places make
kits - if you're running mpi.

" will the clutch off the 258 work on a 4.0 flywheel if i got to change
" it? (im thinking i have a lot of work ahead of me)

afaik general specs are the same.  mind the input spline and diameter
- the 4.0's is 10"; up to '80 the 199/232/258's was 9 1/8", but the
flywheel was always drilled for 10".

as both 4.0 and 258 input shafts are 1 1/8" x 10spline, i don't see
why you can't use the 4.0 clutch in the eagle.