Re: [AMC-list] air dam mods

Using an airdam that hugs the ground and is flexible enough, spoilers, wings, etc is fine if you are on the freeway exclusively. Keep in mind exiting the freeway to get grub n gas or to arrive at your destination. I pointed out and the article did too that in real world situations such as urban traffic, speed bumps, grocery getting, driving into parking lots (some of those cutouts are killers), etc., those road hugging dams would be useless. Much less annoying and dangerous when they finally come flying off. I remember driving behind a kid with a whale tail on his Subaru and watching the trunk flex, wondering when the thing would come loose.
And if the spoiler is not positioned correctly would be again useless and may even decrease gas mileage. I am sure all these professional drivers had a good idea as to where to place the spoiler or they did the testing on an enclosed track, not driving from point A to B.
I also question every tale of increased gas mileage. Remember all those gas mileage gains with the use of magnets on your gas line. They were backed by sound studies. I even remember a test made with clothes pins hooked to the gas lines.
So any results gained by individuals that is not factory related, yes keeping the car tuned ad mechanically sound will do more than magnets, I question.
I have never had the desire to put spoilers on my car unless they came as an option or for just looks......Russ