Re: [AMC-list] Computerized carbs and smog stuff

Same thing with my '82 Spirit. It took 4 tries to get the carb right (and several inline filters, including a sediment bowl I had to clean once a week at first) The AIR pump is sitting on the roof of the '88 Celebrity wagon I'll be cutting up soon. I got a steady 20 mpg with a tired 998 auto (lockup stopped working. Now it engages first and reverse veerrry slowly! It'll soon be swapped for an AW4 though) It passed the E test sniffer no prob after replacing my thermostat (CO was too high at idle but all the other numbers were good) The cat fell apart long ago and the innards left the car in the original muffler.

From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Computerized carbs and smog stuff

My 83 Concord is just the opposite. I have pulled the CPU, smog stuff and V-belt. I went back to a 1970 Hornet belt system and the carb is a late 60s Chryco 318 2v.
I don't have stumbling or idling problems, it runs very well and the miliage is 26 hwy all day long. In town MPG I am not sure of as I drive in a variety of fashions to accurately measure it.
I am very happy with the set up the way I have it. Smog rating, I don't know. I do know that the plugs look good and the last time I drove by a smog truck here in Salem it said "good".
What is a smog truck? We don't have DEQ here in Salem. But they do have a truck that parks and sniffs the car as it passes. It will post a reading as you pass by and it says whether it is good or bad. Not as accurate, I understand, as an inspection.........Russ