Re: [AMC-list] turbulance and fuel economy

Re: [AMC-list] turbulance and fuel economy

Jeff; years ago I read a study conducted by group in a GM wind tunnel. I can't remember what group, sorry, but they were connected to the aftermarket parts.
They concluded that for everyday driving, up to about 70 MPH or so depending on the vehicle, all these air dams, spoilers, etc actually hurt miliage and speed as they create too much turbulance and wind dancing.
The biggest waste was the little nets that PU drivers run. They seem like such a good idea but they are not. Even leaving the tail gate down hurts miliage.
After 70 mph, or so, they help but need to be positioned properly. Not just plopped on the car.
I would suspect they were open to using them for looks, but for everyday driving where you vary in your driving anyway, no difference......Russ