[AMC-list] Computerized carbs and smog stuff

[AMC-list] Computerized carbs and smog stuff

I have 318,000 miles on my '83 Eagle wagon.
There is no "smog pump".   probably taken off before I bought it.  I have ALL of the computer controls working..  The o2 sensor measures what is in the exhaust, and the computer keeps the carb at the 14.1:1 (or something like that) ratio  under most conditions.
It is a 5 speed car.  but it gets 16 mpg in regular city driving, and about 23 on the highway.  (my 87 gets 25-26, but it has many less miles)
I am very happy with the  system..

The carb stumbling and not wanting to idle is ALMOST always caused by clogged passages in the BBD carb..
Disassemble it COMPLETELY, and soak all the parts in the gallon carb cleaner solvent, then use aerosol carb cleaner to force dirt out of every passage in it.  Keep a good fuel filter on the car..  and I like to add one before the fuel pump to protect it too.

There is a Jeep site I once read that describes the carb problem, and how to fix it very well.  I just don't remember where it was.

Does anyone without the working system get better economy than the 16 city 25 highway that I get with the system??

 PS  the Eagles seem to get the best highway mileage at about 60MPH..  I think above that, the drag from the body, and turbulence under the car since it sits so high kill your mileage..

My 75 Hornet Sportabout with the 3 speed and planetary overdrive has gotten 28MPG on flat ground..  doing 65-70MPH

Jeff

Charleston, SC