Re: [AMC-list] Figerglass Headliner Sag

On my Classic wagon I took the falling headliner out, laid it in the
driveway propped up and painted on a quart or more of shellac. My idea was
to stabilize the fibers so that it would retain some strength. I was going
to cover it, it had a greenish mild geometry pattern or something, badly
faded with chips missing, if I recall.

It sort of worked. In hindsight I would use a polyurethane and roller it on
heavy, multiple coats.

There is of course no likelihood of restoration with this process.

I ended up contact cementing on black fake fur. I like it (I like a lot of
things no one else likes, YMMV). It's surprisngly unnoticable. It's faintly
quieter, but mainly it hides all the flaws. This car has many flaws!