[AMC-list] Figerglass Headliner Sag

OK I pulled out the dome light fixture on my 65 American tonight and tried to peek up behind the fiberglass or pressed paper headliner to see what condition it is in.on the back side.  It's pretty crumbly and the front surface has been covered with a pretty nice buckskin vinyl material to match the recovered seats.  Unfortunately this vinyl is heavy, and although it appears to be well adhered to the fiberglass it accentuates the sagging problem.

 It's actually a pretty handsome interior.  But the headliner sags in front of the dome light and pretty much over the front seat giving the front seat occupants (at least this one) a claustrphobic feeling.  Actually when I sit up straight in the front seat my head will touch the headliner.  So I need to do something.

I don't think conventional spray contact adhesive is strong enough.  I think I need to pretty much flood the area between the back of the headliner and the roof of the car with an adhesive that will stablize the surface (stop the crumbling) and adhere it to the roof.   I'm thinking maybe a construction adhesive or a commercial contact cement of some sort.   I'm looking for ideas and how to apply it.  I was thinking of using a wooden dowel to dip it in a tub of adhesive and insert it behind the headliner until I had the area coated, then brace the healiner up with a flat piece of plywood and a wooden support on my car jack placed on a piece of wood in the front seat.  I'm thinking I would need to hold the headliner up with the cement sets up, perhaps overnight.    Of perhaps a I could make a steel band bowed in the shape of the headliner to hold it up.    I want to do something in the next couple of days so I may make a trip to Home Depot
 tomorrow to get some more ideas.

Your ideas are welcome.

Joe Fulton