Re: [AMC-list] Disc Brake Set Up Question...

Re: [AMC-list] Disc Brake Set Up Question...

I did some cost estimating last year, and my opinion is, if you have
existing AMC Bendix or Kelsey-Hayes brakes, it's still less cost to
rebuild/repair them even if rotors are over $100 each. But for putting
disc brakes onto a drum brake car, the Scarebird setup is break-even
at worst initially, and most definitely cheaper when you need parts
again in 5 years. There's not many AMC disc brake setups available
these days, and like Mark points out, only a few years of them are
worth the bother.

To be honest, if I had an AMC disc brake setup in hand for a drum
brake car, I'd eBay it and go Scarebird. There are some hassles still
with the drum vs. disc spindle height, but it looks like spacers solve
it.